Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Email with Love

While in the beginning I mentioned that I do not want to talk about anything bad in this blog, it's hard not to mention as things regardless good or bad happened everyday in our lives. So, i thought since this blog is about how I learn to live my life, I will put whatever came into my mind into this blog. 

I'm not sure if I had mentioned previously that the current company that i'm working in, is having some HR issues which lead to bad productivity. Well, the company is still healthy in terms of business wise, but the environment is getting harder and harder. Although I'm a manager, i am proud to say that i'm pretty much still on the ground. So i hear things and I know how people feel. People are frustrated and it's bad.

So let's focus on a particular incident which happened yesterday. A particular senior manager(50+ of age) lost her temper on a staff(20+ of age) because this staff tried but did not get the answer she want from our supplier. That senior manager immediately report it to the young boss and young boss gave the staff a lesson on all other alternative and that we can push our way through or try to beg for it. Which i think that as leaders and people who seems to know that much, why can't they lead by example? Do it and show it. Instead of just instructing?

This morning as I was walking to work, I had this idea in mind of sending out an email to everyone in my office. 

"Dear colleagues,

Lately, there seems to be some sort of communication breakdown. On my way home last evening, i came across a recruitment drive and on their ad, they wrote "Have colleagues that are like family". And I think it's true, we spent 9 hours of our typical working day together and that is longer than what you have with your real family (assuming you take 8 hours sleep every time. 24-8-9=7). So why can't we treat everyone working together with love. 


Yes, we are humans and we have emotions. But everyone want to work in a place where there are laughter, love and happiness. So before you give someone else a piece of your mind, please think of how that person will feel. How will you feel if the position is reversed? I always believe in treating people how you want to be treated. It is easier to break a trust/relationship then to build/restore one. 

In the light of that, I would like to take the first step in improving our relationship and make this office a better place to work at. I apologise for any wrong we done before and seek your forgiveness. Let bygone be bygone. 

And on a side note, I would like to share with all the senior managers and managers, that it is better to rule by love and respect instead of fear. You will get more productivity and better quality work done when people do it for you willingly. And i'm sure by doing so, you can truly rely on them as you know, regardless of what happened, they will support you. Well, I'm sure we can reduce the staff turnover rate too! 

Moving forward, I will (and i'll try to make sure that my team does the same), try my best in doing my work and providing all the support that everyone of you need. All that I'm asking is that if there is any thing that I've done that is not up to your satisfactory, let's brainstorm and explore together how it can be improved. Suggestions are always welcomed, but not criticism and nitpicking.

Thank you.

Your sinscerely,
Steph"


It does feels a little weird needing a 20+ of age to teach those 40 and above on how to behave. :/


No comments:

Post a Comment